As your child progresses into our Elementary Program (Grades 1 to 5), greater emphasis is placed on the development of self-discipline and academic success.
Students learn to take initiative, develop healthy work habits and organize their time.
Our Elementary Program enables all students to develop the necessary skills and knowledge for Junior High and High School. Our academic structure emphasizes the following:
• Mental math and problem solving
• History and Geography
• English Language Arts
• Cursive writing (beginning in Grade 1)
• Global projects with partner schools
• Field trips and guest speakers
These subjects blend two curricula – the best of France and the best of Alberta.
Despite the growth of typing and the generalized use of print, cursive writing is not a matter of nostalgia.
• Cursive writing activates different parts of the brain and improves synchronicity between the right and left hemispheres
• For younger students, connecting letters reduces letter reversal and inversion.
• Cursive writing encourages children to think of words as wholes, not parts and can improve reading ability
Students begin to write in cursive in Grade 1.
In Grades 1 through 3, students focus on the fundamentals of French, English, mathematics and sciences.
Civic education teaches the concepts of justice, equality and liberty for all. Our students explore the world and the past in history and geography.
Students also take part in art, music and gym.
In Grades 4 and 5, students prepare for Junior High.
Individual projects are introduced to teach autonomy and organization, and group projects introduce students to teamwork.
Interested in enrolling your child in our Elementary Program but your child doesn’t have any prior exposure to French?
FLIP for French, a unique program intended for new students enrolling in Grades 1 to 5 who have little or no prior exposure to the French language.