As your child progresses into our Elementary Program (Grades 1 – 5), we place a greater emphasis on the development of self-discipline, autonomy and academic success.
Students learn to take initiative, develop healthy work habits and organize their time. Skills that are critical for future educational and professional success.
Our Elementary Program’s academic structure emphasizes academic development in the following areas:
• Mental math and problem solving
• History and Geography
• French & English Language Arts
• Cursive handwriting (beginning in Grade 1)
Lycée international de Calgary’s elementary program provides students with various opportunities for academic growth and social interaction, such as:
• International joint projects with other schools within the global AEFE network
• Collaborative, bilingual and interdisciplinary projects with other students and grade levels
• Field trips
• Guest speakers
Despite the rapid growth of typing and the common use of print, cursive writing is not a matter of nostalgia, but one of personal development. Throughout elementary years at Lycée Calgary, students learn and perfect their cursive writing.
• Cursive writing helps with developing fine motor skills by activating different parts of the brain while improving synchronicity between the right and left hemispheres
• Connecting letters reduces letter reversal and inversion in young children when learning to write
• Cursive writing encourages students to think of words as wholes, not small parts and can quickly improve reading ability
In Grades 1 – 3, students focus on the fundamentals of French, English, Mathematics and Science.
Beyond these core subjects, elementary students also learn:
• The concepts of justice, equality and liberty for all, in Civic Education
• Various historical narratives of the past, in Social Studies and History Education
• The importance of living a balanced and healthy lifestyle while developing gross motor skills, in Physical Education
• Creative expression, in Art & Music class
In Grades 4 and 5, students prepare for Junior High.
Individual projects are introduced to teach autonomy and organization, while interdisciplinary, bilingual and cross-curricular group projects are introduced to students to encourage collaboration, teamwork and shared responsibilities.
Interested in enrolling your child in our Elementary Program but your child has no prior exposure to French? It’s not too late!
FLIP for French is a unique program intended for new students enrolling in Grades 1 & 2 who have little or no prior exposure to the French language.
FLIP for French is a unique education program in Calgary that provides accelerated French immersion through individualized learning plans and significant one-on-one time with a dedicated teacher. In this program we introduce students to French and help them acquire the language using games, speaking and writing exercises.